Sunday 27 March 2011

Task Six



This is a logo I designed for a brief at the end of last year. It began as a summer brief where I was asked to research 'What Is Good'. I picked three topics and researched them, when the new term began in September, using our chosen 'What Is Good' we were to write our own brief. I chose vintage shops and from here, I had noticed the problem of how the shops were not easy to shop in if you were looking for something in particular. In response to this, I proposed a chain of vintage shops that were categorised by each decade, making it easier for the customer to shop in.

For the logo I went with a fifties style, as the word vintage made me think, Marilyn Monroe. The font was important too, and I noticed a lot of fifties design had quite a used a font that was scripted and quite feminine. The shape around the text, has a feminine feel too, I kept it very simple with a small amount of decoration to show a subtle element of contemporary coming through.
The design of the fifties took a turning point this was the beginning of the post-war period, and the term 'blue skies design' was coined by an American, signifying an optimistic future.

Vintage is a popular word in fashion nowadays, especially among students, I found in research. The styles from 20's through to 90's are back in shops again, and the popularity of vintage fairs are on the increase. It's much more rewarding to rummage through the vintage furniture and find a one off scarf than to walk straight into Topshop and pick one up visible from the back of the shop, and find every man and his dog wearing it.

And with the clothing follows other vintage items, accessories, photos, cameras, computers... Absolutely everything. Even events, cake sales and tea parties are becoming more popular, especially in Leeds, I have noticed a few posters up and around the university area, with the hand scripted feminine font, with the fifties style drawings of a woman. I definitely didn't want to use that in my logo, as it seemed too obvious, and I wanted to use the simplicity to create a feeling of elegance.

Similar to the way the Dymo tape machine is back, this time for children, but in the eighties was used to create the punk text. The dymo tape machine also produced stickers for the work place, which because of its raised strong lettering, meant it was more durable than a normal sticker. The lettering was associated with working class revolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment